Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Day 13 of 30 day blog challenge

A non-fiction book


Ohhhhhh- there are two that I really like (well as much as you can like these types of books )

The first that came to mind was


Missing: The Oregon City Girls: A shocking true story of abduction and murder by Linda O'Neal, Philip Tennyson and Rick Watson

I remember when these two girls were kidnapped. I remember riding in the car with mom (and my brothers and sister.... maybe Shane wasn't born yet, I'm not sure) Anyways we'd be going to my grandma's house to take care of her (in Clackamas- going through Oregon City) and there were signs and postings and people on the side of the road holding signs looking for these two girls who ended up dead.


my next book is

Steve and Me by Terri Irwin

This is about Steve Irwin and Terri and their life together. I knew about the crocodile hunter and thought he was, not crazy but very excitable. Didn't think too much about him. Enjoyed watching his antics whenever I had a chance to watch the show (we didn't have cable)
But after he died, I just kinda drew myself into what his life was like. The memorial DVD made me cry (I've had that for about 4 years and have only watched it twice... because it makes me cry!!)
So I read this book. It is so touching and I cried when that part came that Terri found out her husband and father of her two young kids had been killed. It was so heart breaking, but their life together was beautiful and I envy the kids so much for being able to have such an amazing dad.

Third book is

A stolen Life- by Jaycee Dugard

The girl that was kidnapped, and held captive for 18 years.
I wanted to know what she'd been through. Maybe it was my morbin curiousity. Reading that book, while reading  New Moon (or Eclipse) was not a good idea. I kept mixing them together. Edward became a completely pervert in my mind, and in the Jaycee book, why weren't any werewolves protecting her!!
I was horrified by the things that poor girl had been through in just her first week there alone. And imagining that it could be someone I knew like my little neighbor girl Haven who is just 11 (Jaycee's age when she was kidnapped) how horrible to treat a little girl that way. To have her know that things like that could even happen.
But I'm so glad she is home with her mom. I felt so sad that she almost didnt want to go home if her step dad was going to be there.. It reminded me of how Eddy used to treat us as kids (she talks about how 'mean' he was to her as a kid--- not abusive, but treating her as though his relationship with the mom could be better if the kid weren't there)

Some good books that are non- fiction are (if you like animal books) The Dogs Who Found Me by Ken Foster--- he tells stories about each of the dogs he ends up with, finding homes, stupid owners.. going through 9/11 and I think even hurricane Katrina.

No comments:

Post a Comment