Wednesday, September 5, 2012

1st grade starts

Sept 4th, 2012-

Ari started the first grade!
We had to be up at 7. We ate breakfast together and got dressed, did our hair and headed out at 7:40. We walked through the school and out a side door to a modular where Ari's class is. Mrs. Cremer (Kraemer) is her teacher's name. It's a cute little class room.
Ari was excited to see that she had a kindergarten classmate named Maddie in with her, who'd she'd been hoping was in her class all summer. There were a couple other kids that were in her kindergarten class.
We found her seat at a round table with a couple other kids (Maddie being one of them)
We looked around the room a little.
Right next to Ari's table is the class mascot, a bearded dragon (Ari found out his name is Spike)
I left Ari, feeling kind of sad leaving her. She did seem a little nervous but didn't ask me to stay with her or cry. I was the one who felt like crying! Maybe it was the time of month or just that our summer time is gone and now she's a full time student now. I walked home feeling a little cruddy. I felt better after I got home.
I got online and posted a picture of Ari from earlier.

I was going to go back to bed as soon as I got home but I felt awake (even though I hadn't been able to fall asleep until close to 1:45 the night before---- went to bed at 11:45) Today marked 6 years since Steve Irwin died and they had a marathon on Animal Planet of The Crocodile Hunter, so I watched that a bit. I really miss that show! It's much more entertaining and educational then some of the other shows they have on! I took Ozzie out of her tank and took her outside. She'd been sluggish for a while, and just yesterday I'd noticed her heat pad wasn't plugged in correctly, so I took her outside in the morning sun to soak in some rays. I plugged in a black light for heat and laid her on the heat pad
and I went back to bed while watching The Crocodile Hunter.
            I woke up around noon. Watching Steve made me want to fix up my reptiles tanks, clean them up (not that messy lol) but just got me in the mood. I cleaned up Cesar's tank, put in her new heated rock. Then moved over to Ozzie. I was getting Ari's turtle sandbox set up in the backyard to let her bask.
Anyways, after setting up the turtle thing, I went inside to grab Ozzie. She had moved so I thought maybe she got too warm on the pad that was now on. I grabbed her and instantly knew she felt wrong. I practically dropped her back down and she ended up on her back. She was dead. Or so I thought. Her mouth was partially open and there were some of the sandy like crushed walnut shells stuck to her tongue. I went and grabbed a syringe that the vet we took Foofy to gave us. I filled it with water to wash out her mouth.
I realized she was slowly dying. I
The "funny" thing is, just yesterday I posted her on craigslist so I could find someone to take her. Mom said she must know we were trying to rehome her.
I felt absolutely horrible. Ari just started school. She loves this "dragon lizard" (as she calls it) and she has a bearded dragon in her class. I thought for sure she'd just be so upset. I left Ozzie alone after taking her outside, then back in to put her in her cage. There was nothing for me to do for her now.
       She died a while later and I debated on whether or not to wait until Ari got home or not to bury her.
I decided to wait.
I left to go get Ari at 2:20.
She said "This was such a long day!"
I completely forgot that Nevaeh is in kindergarten now! Wow!
We walked home, and asked Ari how her day went.
She had chicken nuggets for lunch and two pieces of broccoli and an apple with chocolate milk. She didn't eat the broccoli she said, but at least she picked them out! lol
I asked her about the bearded dragon. She said his name is Spike and he's a boy. She didn't mention Ozzie at first but then when she did I said "Remember how Ozzie was sick?" she said "Yeah. What happened to her?"
I looked at her "Something bad."
"What?"
I looked at her again. And she guessed that she'd died.
Here we go. I thought she'd start crying. she almost did, but I told her, we weren't going to get another bearded dragon for a long while, until we could afford all the special things they need all the time, but we could get another leopard gecko that could be just for her. She didn't say much about that.
She asked if I'd buried her already and I said "No, I wanted to wait for you to be there."
She smiled at that.
She wasn't as upset as I thought she'd be. That's a relief. Although I'm sad that Ozzie is gone.
When we got home, we had a snack. Then we went out next to Foofy's resting spot and dug a hole. Ari wanted to bring Ozzie out so I let her. I wanted to check for sure that she was dead. It was hard to tell but once I put her in the hole and some dirt fell on her, I picked her back up, the dust on her eyes would have made her blink. She looked like one of those fake animals that was sitting on a shelf too long with dust covering her, so I knew she was gone.
She was buried now and Ari picked a marigold for her. She wanted to put some dead crickets and mealworms in her hole, but I said how about we put in some collard greens instead and save the crickets and meal worms for Cesar. She agreed but we forgot :(.

Later that day I cleaned up all of Ozzie's things and put them back so we could put Cesar in the bigger tank. I dunno if that was too soon... but we did it.


Ari took a bath, we had BBQ chicken with rice, spinach (for me) green beans for her, and some bite size baked yummy potatoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment